Thursday, March 10, 2005

Real Life Daredevils


ultracane
Originally uploaded by thegadgetguy.
I would have no idea how to function if I were to suddenly lose my sight. I suppose that having grown up reading comic books, I would dream of being able to "enhance" my other senses in order to compensate for my loss and become like Daredevil (but not the Ben Affleck version). Maybe that's not really possible, but Ultra Cane might make a sightless person's ability to lead a more "normal" life possible:

"The UltraCane is based on an ordinary white cane, but it also uses "echolocation" - it emits ultrasonic waves which bounce off objects in its path and echo back to the cane. It feeds that information through to the buttons on the handle, telling you how far away the object is, and whether it is in front of you or at head height. This gives you more knowledge about your environment, and enables you to make decisions much more quickly than is possible with an ordinary white cane."

It's fascinating technology and a very interesting website. Click on the headline for link.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home