Wednesday, February 09, 2005

New Tablet PC tc4000


Tablet PC tc4000
Originally uploaded by thegadgetguy.
I was an early adopter of Tablet PC's, having owned the Compaq tc1000 almost as soon as it was released and having sold a brand new Toshiba Tablet to buy the Compaq. The Toshiba machine was beautifully built with a swivel screen, but I found it too big and too heavy to use daily. The tc1000 had a detachable keyboard, smaller screen and was much lighter to carry around.

I used the Tablet almost every day, mostly to cruise the web in portrait mode (it was great being able to view web pages like a book) and take handwritten notes. Ultimately, though, despite fairly good handwriting recognition, I couldn't deny the fact that I type with much greater speed and accuracy on a keyboard then I can write with a stylus. This, unfortunately, is the Tablet's greatest downfall.

I finally sold the Tablet and bought the ibook (which is great), but I still miss reading web pages in portrait mode. HP has just released its newest Tablet PC, the tc4000 which abandons the detachable keyboard for the convertible style of the Toshiba (among others) and would allow someone to switch modes quickly. The tc4000 has a 12.1" screen Pentium M, but the problem here again is that it might just be too heavy to carry around and use Tablet style regularly. Someone needs to build a very small and light convertible before I would consider going back to tablets. About $1599.00

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

I had the Toshiba and turned it in to get the Fujitsu. Then my company gets word that the Fujitsu now comes with a DVD/CDRW and an outdoor screen.

I have used a tablet for nearly 2 years. It is cool for when you are on the go.

10:56 PM  
Blogger The Gadget Guy said...

I think that the Tablets are cool too. I enjoyed using the pen instead of a mouse. But as my work got more intense, I found myself getting frustrated at using the pen, and then I was carrying around the keyboard and using that all the time. And the Compaq was not the best for intensive keyboard use. I still think that a light convertible could be the ticket.

Thanks for commenting!

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home